Friday, June 7, 2024

6.7.2024 - Middletide

Middletide by Sarah Crouch

Many thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for sending me both a physical and digital ARC of this wonderful debut novel by Sarah Crouch.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4.5 stars!

One morning, in a small northern Washington town, two fishermen come across the body of the young town doctor hanging from a tree.  Suicide?  Murder?  The tree is on the property of Elijah Leith, who left Point Orchards to become a famous writer.  Failing that, he's now home, living in his dad's cabin.  Soon the investigation leads right to Elijah, with the plot of his failed novel mirroring the doctor's death.

This is a slow burn, very atmospheric, novel that really pulled me in.  It took me a minute to get used to the different timelines.  As a guide, it's set in 3 main time periods:  the 1970s, when Elijah and his girlfriend, Nakita, are together; the 1980s, when Elijah returns; and the 1990s as more present day.  Once I get that set in my mind, I liked the back and forth of the plot giving us background information.  While it's definitely a character study into grief and second chances, the murder mystery played out well, with a few twists.  I can't wait to read more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment