Sunday, June 30, 2024

6.30.2024 - One Big Happy Family

One Big Happy Family by Jamie        Day 

Many thanks to NetGalley, St Martin's Press and Macmillan Audio for gifting me both a digital and audio ARC of the sophomore book by Jamie Day, with the audiobook wonderfully narrated by Saskia Maarleveld.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4 stars!

Charley is the maid at a family-owned inn, The Precipice, doing whatever she can to earn enough money to pay for her grandmother's care.  When the owner, George Bishop dies, his family comes to the inn for the reading of the will.  Along with all the surprises the will brings, a hurricane is looming.  

I was a huge fan of Day's debut, The Block Party, and enjoyed this one as well.  I love a locked-room atmospheric mystery, and this one had lots of characters, each keeping secrets.  I did feel it was a bit slow at times, but it still kept me intrigued.  While Charley didn't always make the best of decisions, I felt for her as she was trying so hard to take care of her beloved Nana.  The scenes with the two of them were heartwarming and heartbreaking.  This is full of family secrets and dysfunction, enough characters to keep you guessing, and a few twists and turns along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment