Monday, June 24, 2024

6.24.2024 - Southern Man

Southern Man by Greg Iles 

Many thanks to NetGalley and William Morrow for gifting me a digital ARC of the latest in the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4 stars!

Taking place 15 years after the Natchez Burning trilogy, Penn Cage continues to struggle alone.  But when a brawl at a Mississippi music festival triggers a mass shooting and injuries his daughter, Annie, that all changes.  Suddenly Penn is thrust into a race war.  Robert E. Lee White is a Southern war hero who emerges as a strong third-party candidate.  Along with Annie and a former Black Panther, Penn needs to expose Bobby White's true motivations.

I am a huge fan of Greg Iles' books and don't think I've ever given one of his books lower than 5 stars.  I was so anxious to read this new installment in this series.  As with all his books, the writing was superb and pulls you into the story instantly.  It's atmospheric, gripping, tense.  However, while most of these books are long, I felt that this one was too long at almost 1000 pages, especially because there was way too much politics in it for my taste.  While we all know that we live in a very divisive time and I appreciate current events being interwoven into fiction, to me, this book crossed the line.  I felt the author just continued to pound his political views on the reader and colored all the characters accordingly.  That being said, I will continue to read anything he writes and wish him good health as he navigates his medical issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment