Tuesday, September 22, 2026

9.22.2026 - A Thousand Monstrous Forms

A Thousand Monstrous Forms by Saratoga Schaefer 

Many thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for gifting me a digital ARC of the latest horror novel by Saratoga Schaefer.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4.5 stars!

Artist Poppy Reed married Celia Marie Fox, after just a short period, and even though Celia has a track record of broken relationships.  Poppy was excited to move across the country to Celia's isolated manor, called Busirane.  But Busirane doesn't seem very welcoming to Poppe, with strange noises and happenings.  Plus, Celia seems oddly controlling, insisting that Poppy avoid the basement and not allowing her access to a car or keys to the locked rooms.  Then Celia leaves for a work trip, a storm hits, and Poppy is scared.  Even so, she ventures into the basement and is shocked at what she finds.

This is a retelling of Bluebeard, but since I know nothing about that, I can say that I wasn't influenced in the least!  I got to enjoy this one all on its own merit - and enjoy it I did.  This is such a creepy book and I never knew what was really happening and if Poppy was a reliable narrator.  The gothic feel, the isolated mansion, the storm, the gaslighting, the controlling - and that ending!  Read this one with the lights on!  Saratoga Schaefer is always a must read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment