Monday, September 2, 2024

9.2.2024 - The Night Guest

The Night Guest by Hildur Knútsdóttir 

Many thanks to NetGalley, Tor Publishing, and Macmillan Audio for gifting me both a digital and audio ARC of this creepy novella by Hildur Knútsdóttir, absolutely perfectly narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4.5 stars rounded up because I just couldn't stop listening!

Iðunn is in yet another doctor's office. She knows her constant fatigue is a sign that something's not right, but practitioners dismiss her symptoms and blood tests haven't revealed any cause.  Everyone tells her to eat better, get more sleep, exercise more but nothing helps.  One night, Iðunn falls asleep with her new step-counting watch on, and wakes up to find she’s walked over 40,000 steps in the night.  Just what is happening when she's asleep?

I was pulled into this book right away.  A woman goes to the doctor with symptoms, only to be dismissed.  After just going through something very similar, I could definitely relate to her, as most women probably can.  I also loved the way this story was written.  Some chapters only had a few words or one sentence.  It just kept pulling me further and further in.  If you want a book with an ending tied up neatly with a bow, this is not your book.  But I thought the ending just added to the creepiness of the book, the unreliable narrator, and just felt right.  The narrator was perfect and added to the overall mystery of the book.  I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment