Friday, September 13, 2024

9.13.2024 - I Dreamed of Falling

I Dreamed of Falling by Julia Dahl 

Many thanks to NetGalley, St Martin’s Press Minotaur Books, and Macmillan Audio for gifting me both a digital and audio ARC of this mystery by Julia Dahl, with the audio perfectly narrated by Jennifer Blom and Shahjehan Khan.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own – 4 stars.

A young couple – Roman and Ashley – live with his mother who helps with their young son Mason.  They struggle with money, and both had difficult upbringings.  When Ashley is found dead, Roman realizes that he didn’t really know her.  He starts looking into what could have happened and what Ashley was hiding.

 

I’ve seen mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed this story.  It takes place in a small town in the Hudson Valley, where everyone knows everything and it’s hard to make changes.  Roman had bigger dreams but is now working for a tiny local newspaper, mostly reporting on local events.  Ashley wants to build her yoga practice, but Covid fears make that difficult.  Roman’s mother, Tara, is very attached to young Mason, trying to make up for her own failings.  So while no one is completely likeable, they are relatable and you can feel their struggles while trying to do better.  The audiobook kept me interested until the last page!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment