Wednesday, October 9, 2024

10.9.2024 - Her Deadly Game

Her Deadly Game by Robert Dugoni

Many thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer Amazon Publishing for gifting me a digital ARC of the first in a series by one of my very favorite authors, Robert Dugoni.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 5 stars!

Keera Duggan enjoyed her time as a Seattle prosecutor, until a romantic relationship with a senior colleague ended badly.  She returned to her family's failing criminal defense law firm to work for her father, an alcoholic.  Hoping to restore her family's reputation and her career, she is retained by Vince LaRussa, an investment advisor accused of murdering his wealthy wife.  The prosecutor on the case is none other than Keira's former lover, anxious to see her fail.

Keera was a former chess prodigy, and she uses that talent to help her client, always thinking out of the box and one step ahead.  While I don't know anything about chess, Keera plays a game in this book as well, and it was a good analogy for her real life games.  This was a great mix of police procedural, courtroom and family drama, and I raced through it.  The characters are smart, strong, flawed, conflicted.  I'm not sure Dugoni has ever written a book I haven't loved, and this was no exception.  I saved this one from my backlist and am ready to start #2 in this series - Beyond Reasonable Doubt.  A great start to this new series - highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment