Friday, October 4, 2024

10.4.2024 - Keep

Keep by Jenny Haysom 

Many thanks to NetGalley and House of Anansi Press for gifting me a digital ARC of the debut novel by Jenny Haysom.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own – 5 stars!

Home stagers Eleanor and Jacob are hired to clear out the home of Harriet, an elderly poet who has been diagnosed with dementia and whose son is planning to move her to a facility.  They are overwhelmed at the amount of work to be done in a very short period of time, and both their own lives are in disarray as well.  

 

I adored this book – from the cover to the characters and to the words of wisdom running throughout.  It’s a story of things – how the things that we surround ourselves with can take on more meaning than they should. It’s the people and community around us that are important.  It’s also about memory and how our things reflect those moments in our lives that hold such meaning for us.  These characters are wonderful, and they felt like friends as I was reading.  I raced through this book and was sorry when it was over.  I’m thinking the universe is talking to me through this book as well as a friend who is doing Swedish Death Cleaning.  I need to listen!  Highly recommended – wonderful book and I can’t wait to read more from this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment