Sunday, March 6, 2016

3.5.2016 - Happy People Read and Drink Coffee

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book!

At first glance, how could I not love this book with a title like that? Although I'd definitely substitute coffee for Diet Coke! But alas, I didn't quite love it.

The premise of this story was simple...after a devastating loss, Diane sinks into a total depression, abandoning her literary café with the same name as the book title as well as the rest of her family save a lone friend, Felix. She eventually decides to escape to Ireland to restart her life. The rest is quite predictable although the ending was maybe not what I expected. There is already a sequel in the works, a glimpse of which was given at the end of the book.

The thing I had the hardest time with was the writing. It just didn't quite seem as polished or professional as in the books I typically read. A new paragraph would start without a chapter break and it would be weeks in advance and you were left a bit confused. The descriptions of the characters' emotions were a bit over the top too.

It was a quick read and I might be interested in picking up the next one just to see where it happens, although I can probably predict that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment