Wednesday, March 23, 2016

3.23.2016 - Imagine Me Gone

Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book!

This was a little tough to read...I am a little ambivalent as I sit to write this review. This is the story of a family touched by mental illness, told in different chapters by the different family members. Michael's chapters were the most difficult to read but probably the truest - they were the ramblings of a person in the throes of mental illness and under the influence of so many different drugs. But hard to read they were...I found myself skimming some of these sections just because they went on tangents about music, literature, race relations, etc.

The character development of the other family members really showed the influence of living with someone with mental illness and its long-reaching effects. Everyone handled things differently but what I admired most was that no matter what, this family tried to always be there for each other. I have a feeling I'll be thinking about these characters in the days to come as well as the main topic of mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment