Thursday, February 29, 2024

2.29.2024 - I Promise It Won't Always Hurt Like This

I Promise It Won't Always Hurt Like This by Clare Mackintosh 

Many thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for gifting me a digital ARC of this wonderful book by a favorite author, Clare Mackintosh - 5 stars!


Clare and her husband lost their baby boy, Alex, at the age of 5 weeks.  His twin survived but that didn't lessen the overwhelming grief they experienced and continue to experience.  This book is inspired by a twitter post she wrote on the anniversary of Alex's death that went viral, stating 18 promises to those grieving.


We are all in various stages of grieving, especially as we get older.   While I can only imagine the pain of losing a child, grief hurts whether it is for a parent, a spouse, a friend, a pet.  This is the book that will bring you hope and give you strength.  It isn't preachy and gives you permission to go through it in whatever way works best for you.  But knowing that someone has walked the walk and come out on the other side is comforting.  It's also a guide for knowing what to do and what not to say to others.  This is a book that I will buy for myself and others.  Mackintosh's first book, I Let You Go, is still one of my all time favorite books, and I've read all her others, but this book allowed me to get a glimpse of the person behind those books., and it was a privilege.  Highly recommended and a must read for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment