Wednesday, December 20, 2023

12.20.2023 - The Last Caretaker

The Last Caretaker by Jessica Strawser 

Many thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for gifting me a digital ARC of the latest book by a favorite, Jessica Strasser - 4.5 stars rounded up!

Fresh out of her divorce, Katie needs a new start.  Her best friend, Bess, offers her a caretaking job at the nature preserve where she works.  It comes with housing, quiet, and nature - all things that will hopefully sooth Katie's soul.  But something is a bit wrong - the previous caretaker seemingly left without taking any of her belongings and no one has heard from her.  Then, on her first night there, she learns that her home is also an underground safe house for domestic violence victims.  Suddenly, Katie's world turns upside down once again, and she's not sure who she can trust.

I loved this book and the strong women characters inside.  The tension and fear echoed through the pages and I felt like I was along with Katie on her journey.   Just like Katie, I wasn't sure who I could trust, but I admired how so many of these women lived the mantra that it's always better to do the right thing, no matter what.  But will the cost be too high?  Another wonderful book by Jessica Strasser!

No comments:

Post a Comment