Monday, May 1, 2023

5.1.2023 - It Was an Ugly Couch Anyway

It Was an Ugly Couch Anyway by Elizabeth Passarella 

Many, many thanks to NetGalley and Nelson Books for gifting me a digital ARC of the new book by Elizabeth Passarella - 5 stars!

I was an absolute huge fan of Elizabeth's first collection of essays, Good Apple, focusing mostly on growing up in the south as an evangelical Christian and now living in NYC.  Her second book continues along that same vein, probably with less religious themes, but with all the heart and humor from the first.  These interconnected stories also feature the family's quest to purchase a larger apartment in their same building.  

Elizabeth's writing is so relatable and even though I'm older than she is, I feel like I''m sitting across the table from a best friend drinking a glass of wine and talking about everything - but really talking, not just instagram highlight talking.  I loved the story of her dad's couch - I had a relatable ugly couch in my life too that would probably have coordinated well with hers!  But of course, it's about more than a couch and that's where Elizabeth's writing shines.  It's about all the feelings associated with objects.  Plus, there are very few people out there who are completely honest these days - so when Elizabeth writes about her facial hair woes or temporarily losing a child in Times Square, you can't help but relate and laugh along.

I can't recommend her books enough - I'm hoping she's sitting in the library now working on her next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment