Tuesday, September 6, 2022

9.6.2022 - Has Anyone Seen My Toes?

Has Anyone Seen My Toes? 

Many thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for gifting me a digital ARC of the latest novel by Christopher Buckley - 3 stars!

During the COVID pandemic, a screenwriter is living in a coastal SC town with his second wife, Peaches.  He's overweight because he can't stop driving through the fast-food chain, Hippo King.  His concierge doctor gives him speed to help with his appetite, although it doesn't work.  He's writing a new screenplay about a Nazi plot to kidnap FDR.  He becomes obsessed with a local election for coroner and begins imagining both candidates have nefarious activities.  Then a psychiatrist thinks he may have dementia.  It's all too much for him.

It was all a bit too much for me as well.  I really liked some of the humorous/satirical portions but I lost interest in the screenplay he was trying to write and found myself skimming those portions.  The humor got overshadowed by the rambling stream of consciousness thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment