Saturday, September 24, 2022

9.24.2022 - The Frederick Sisters are Living the Dream

The Frederick Sisters Are Living the Dream by Jeannie Zusy

Many thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Atria Books for gifting me a digital ARC of this wonderful novel by Jeannie Zusy - 4.5 stars rounded up!

Maggie is living in Upstate NY, separated from her husband, one son in college and the other about to graduate high school.  She gets a call that her sister, Ginnie, who has intellectual disabilities, is in the hospital with severe diabetes issues.  Ginnie isn't able to return home yet so, against the wishes of their older sister, Bets, who lives in CA, Maggie brings her to NY.  There begins Maggie's new role as caretaker.

Since we moved my elderly mother into our small home last year, I could totally relate to this book and Maggie's struggles.  It's full of truth, dark humor, and so much heart.  I found myself laughing and crying and feeling like someone understood some of the complicated feelings involved in caretaking!  There's also things to ponder such as the rights of others in their daily decision making, even when it could be harmful.  Although I felt like I didn't really get Bets' character, I could also relate because in most families, there's a division in how these issues are handled and who ends up doing the hard work.  I loved these characters and can't wait to read more from this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment