Tuesday, May 17, 2016

5.17.2016 - The Versions of Us

The Versions of Us by Laura  Barnett

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book!

This is kind of a tough one for me to review - I really liked the book but I have to admit that it was a difficult read for me. Not difficult subject matter, but it was just hard to keep everything straight. I loved the premise of the book and really liked the characters - sometimes I wish I would have taken notes. I kept telling myself before every chapter...in Version 1 these characters are married, these are the children, this is their path.

That being said, this book is written in 3 different versions or life paths that the characters could have taken. So it starts in 1958 with the main characters, Eva, Jim and David. Their lives intersect during their college years. Then the story proceeds to 2014, with each chapter marked by either Version 1, 2 or 3 as well as the date and location. Whew.

Such a creative mind that wrote this book - I wondered if she wrote each version separately from beginning to end, or wrote it as it is presented. I almost want to go back and reread each version alone! Very thought-provoking to think of all the ways our lives could change depending on the decisions we make at each juncture.

No comments:

Post a Comment