Sunday, April 10, 2016

4.10.2016 - Lilac Girls

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

First, thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher, Ballantine Books, for the opportunity to read this amazing book.

Each time I read a book about the atrocities that humans did to other humans during the Holocaust, I'm amazed that there are so many stories that I had never heard about. Which makes me feel ashamed and glad that there are people like Martha Hall Kelly to tell the stories of these women.

This book is written in the voices of 3 women over two decades beginning in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland. Caroline Ferriday (a real person) who worked tirelessly to provide aid to victims of the war; Dr Herta Oberheuser (another real person) who conducted horrible trials on Polish women imprisoned at Ravensbruck, an all-female concentration camp; and Kasia, one of the "Rabbits," or victims of the tortures done by the doctors at this camp.

I couldn't put this book down, as hard as it was to read. But the human spirit is always so amazing and you feel so much admiration for all war victims and what they endured.

Do not miss this book - I'm grateful to the author for enlightening me.

No comments:

Post a Comment