Thursday, September 7, 2023

9.7.2023 - Beware the Woman

Beware the Woman by Megan Abbott 

Many thanks to NetGalley, Penguin Group Putnam, GP Putnam Sons, for gifting me a digital ARC of the latest thriller by Megan Abbott - 4.5 stars!

Jed and Jacy, newly married and expecting a baby, head out on their first trip to visit Jed's father, Dr Ash, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  Jacy likes Dr Ash, but their house manager, Mrs Brandt, less.  Soon Jacy has a healthy scare and is taken to visit a doctor friend of Jed's dad, where she feels violated by all the men talking about her in another room.  Now Jacy feels trapped in the cottage and that her every move is being watched and scrutinized.  All she wants to do is leave, but that doesn't appear to be an option.  

I'm surprised at the reviews for this one - I felt such a creepy, horror vibe that I raced through it.  The ending was a bit abrupt, but I don't have to have all endings wrapped in a pretty bow, so I was okay with that.  Set in a remote location where everyone is suspect, Jacy is pregnant and feeling completely vulnerable.  There's a theme running through it about motherhood, women being controlled and their feelings ignored, which just added to the sinister vibes.  I was totally surprised by the twist too!  Don't miss this one - another great book by Megan Abbott!

No comments:

Post a Comment