Sunday, March 27, 2022

3.27.2022 - The Younger Wife

The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth

Many thanks to NetGalley, St Martin's Press and Macmillan Audio for gifting me a digital copy of the latest book by a favorite, Sally Hepworth - 4.5 stars rounded up!  The audiobook was expertly narrated by  Barrie Kreinik; Caroline Lee; Jessica Douglas-Henry; Zoe Carides - they added much to the enjoyment of this book!

Ahh...the younger wife.  Steven Aston has just announced to his grown daughters, Rachel and Tully, that he is engaged to much younger Heather.  While that may be a lot to absorb, Steven is still married to their mother, Pam, who has dementia and is in a nursing home.  Needless to say, the daughters aren't totally welcoming.  And everyone has secrets.

Told in varying viewpoints, from the wedding date and in the past, we learn all those secrets.  I loved these characters (most of them at least!) and I couldn't put this book down until I figured out all the twists.  I've read some reviews that questioned the ending, but to me things were clear enough and I liked it.  I love books that have you questioning everyone's motives behind their actions and behaviors.  There's also some good life lessons in here as well - the harm that held secrets do to ourselves and relationships and believing in ourselves.  I enjoyed the afterword as well, with the author's story of the book's beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment