Monday, December 26, 2016

12.26.2016 - The Other Einstein

The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I'm very conflicted about my review of this book. I thought that the writing was wonderful and the book certainly kept me engrossed. If it was about made-up characters, I would have given it a much higher rating. However, when you get to the back and read the author's note, I just don't know how much of this book is fiction and how much fact - it sounds like mostly fiction. Which is fine, but it totally sullies Einstein's character. Is that deserved?

This book focuses on Mitza, Einstein's first wife and the mother of his children. Mitza was a brilliant scientist in an age when girls didn't go to university, let alone study physics. This book says that Mitza was the discoverer of the Theory of Relativity as much or more so than Einstein. But the portrayal of Einstein's personality is what gave me the biggest pause. He was so totally unlikeable. Again - truth or fiction?

An engrossing read but left me a bit cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment