Monday, September 21, 2026

9.21.2026 - Call Off the Dark

Call Off the Dark by Hallie Shepherd

Many thanks to NetGalley, William Morrow and HarperAudio for gifting me both a digital and audio ARC of the debut novel by Hallie Shepherd, with the audiobook narrated by the fabulous Brittany Pressley.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4.5 stars!

Helen marries Wade just months after meeting him, when she was still in the throes of grief for her husband, Tyler, who was killed in a home invasion.  Wade takes her to his farmhouse in rural Washington where he lives off-grid.  She tries to do the trad-wife life that Wade expects, but she can't sleep and is obsessed with poems about death.  Then a stranger shows up at their door, Isaac, who claims to be Wade's brother.  But Wade insists that Isaac is dead.  Helen isn't sure who or what to believe.

This was a slow-burn psychological thriller, with the tension ramping up throughout.  From the creepy setting, to Wade's controlling nature, to the strange animal behavior, just like Helen, I wasn't sure what was real.  I liked the way the story spooled out, going back in time to learn about Helen's past with Tyler.  A story centered on grief and longing, all wrapped up in a horror-like thriller, this was such a strong debut that left me thinking after I finished.  I listened to the audiobook and would highly recommend that format because of the fabulous narration work by Pressley.  Looking forward to more from this author!


No comments:

Post a Comment