Wednesday, August 3, 2022

8.3.2022 - Catch Your Death

 Catch Your Death (Cold Case #6)

Many thanks to NetGalley and Severn House for gifting me a digital ARC of this mystery/police procedural by Lissa Marie Redmond - 4.5 stars!

Cold Case Detective Shane Reese runs into an old high school friend who invites him to a class reunion of sorts at an upscale spa/hotel he is opening in Upstate New York.  Shane brings along his friend and partner, Lauren Riley.  Shane was in a small class of gifted/talented students in school and one of their classmates was murdered, the killer never found.  Shane has been quietly investigating the case and is looking forward to the reunion because all the top suspects in her murder will be there.  But there will be another case to solve while they are there.

I love a good locked room mystery where everyone is suspect.  Add to that a remote spa that isn't open to guests yet on the eve of a huge snowstorm that shuts down the area and you have a thriller!  I have read Redmond's stand alone novels but was new to this series and it didn't subtract from my enjoyment.  I'm sure I would have liked it even more if I would have been privy to the complete backstory of Riley and Reese, but enough background was provided.  I loved the atmospheric element to this story, including the shout out to all the essential workers of Upstate NY!  I am on the other side of the state but feel as the author does about all those that keep the lights on and the roads clear under sometimes extraordinary challenges.  Can't wait to read more in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment