Thursday, April 21, 2022

4.21.2022 - Like a House on Fire

 Like a House on Fire by Lauren McBrayer

Many thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Group/GP Putnam Sons for gifting me a digital ARC of this debut novel by Lauren McBrayer - 3.5 stars rounded up!

Merit has been a stay-at-home mom to two young boys and married to Cory for 13 years.  But she feels like she has lost her way and needs more in her life.  She goes back to work as an architect and is instant best friends with her boss, Jane.  Suddenly, her whole focus in life changes and begins to revolve around Jane.

I have mixed feelings about this book - it was well written and a quick read.  I really liked the first part of the book, watching Merit come into herself.  She certainly faced issues that most women and especially working mothers face.  However, I felt bad for Merit and Cory's kids because both parents seemed very checked out of their lives.  I did like the way the author ended the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment