Wednesday, October 6, 2021

10.6.2021 - Fan Fiction

 Fan Fiction by Brent Spiner

Many thanks to NetGalley, MacMillan Audio and St Martin's Press for gifting me both a digital and audio ARC of this mem-noir by Brent Spiner, or to those who live on another galaxy, Data from Star Trek.  5 absolutely hilarious stars for the most purely entertaining book I've read in a long time.  However, the audiobook is an absolute must -  once I started listening, I couldn't switch over to the digital copy because the narration made the book.

It's 1991 and the height of Star Trek The Next Generation, when Brent Spiner starts receiving death threats from an obsessed fan.  He has to gather Paramount Security, LAPD and even the FBI to help investigate the situation.  This is a look into the fandom world and how it can affect the actors.

While my husband loved the original Star Trek, we raised our boys on all of the Star Trek franchises to come - in the 1990s, it was about the only safe, family oriented, show with good values on TV and we couldn't get enough.  My boys dressed as Star Trek characters every Halloween (Data, Warf and Spock) and our first email addresses were all Star Trek related.  So this book satisfied all my Trek love.  However, even someone not obsessed with Star Trek would love this book - it is absolutely hilarious.  I listened to it while running errands and kept laughing out loud - it is just too good.  Brent narrates the book with the help of all his TNG castmates which of course made it all that much better.

Do not miss this book - so hilarious!  I hope this is not the last book Brent Spiner will write!

No comments:

Post a Comment