Sunday, August 22, 2021

8.22.2021 - My Heart is a Chainsaw

My Heart Is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones

Many thanks to NetGalley and Gallery Books/Saga Press for gifting me a copy of Stephen Graham Jones' latest novel - 4 stars!

Jade is an outcast in the small Idaho town of Proofrock, obsessed with slasher movies as an escape from her home life.  When a wealthy group of investors decides to build mansions on the other side of Indian Lake, Jade recognizes the "final girl" in newcomer, Letha, and predicts a coming massacre.  However, no one believes her and she even starts questioning herself, until bodies start showing up. 

This is a tough book to review - it's wonderfully written and the longer I have stepped away from reading it, I find myself haunted by Jade's story.  I adored some of these characters (Mr. Holmes!) and of course, Jade.  It was a bit slow for me and not being a slasher movie fan, much of that info went over my head.  But the mixing of Native American culture with the horror movie theme to tell Jade's story was spot on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment