Thursday, July 1, 2021

7.1.2021 - Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead

 







Many thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for gifting me a digital ARC of the debut book by Emily Austin - 4.5 stars - I loved it!

Gilda is a depressed young woman preoccupied with death. She has just been fired and has no money to pay her rent. She finds a flyer advertising free therapy - when she goes to the address, it’s a Catholic Church. The priest greets her and thinks she is there to apply for the job as church secretary to replace the recently-deceased Grace. Gilda gets the job, hiding to Fr Jeff the fact that she is an atheist and a lesbian. When it is determined that Grace did not die of natural causes, Gilda also becomes obsessed with finding out who killed her. 

This was a laugh-out loud book for me with a non-believer’s look into Catholic rituals. Being Catholic myself, I loved her observations. But it is also a glimpse into living with anxiety and depression, including the sad fact that Gilda struggled to get any help for her mental illness, even though the ER personnel knew her by name. A dark humor novel that I really enjoyed. I cant wait to read more from this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment