Monday, April 12, 2021

4.12.2021 - The Last Thing to Burn

The Last Thing to Burn by Will Dean

Many thanks to NetGalley, Atria Books/Emily Bestler Books for gifting me an ARC of this amazing American debut novel by Will Dean - 5 stars for a book I won't soon forget.

"Jane" came to the United States with her sister from Vietnam in hopes of a job and a new life.  Instead, she was sold to Lenn, a farmer in the UK, who has kept her imprisoned as his slave for 7 years.  One by one, she loses her few possessions when she breaks one of Lenn's arbitrary rules.  Then she finds out she's pregnant and she vows that her child will have a different life.  When she learns that Lenn has another woman captive, she knows she needs to act to save them all.

I couldn't put this book down and read it with my heart in my throat and my stomach hurting.  Reminiscent of Room, you will be blown away by the strength of "Jane" and the way she holds onto her self.  I loved the inner monologue "Jane" kept to distance herself from the horrors of her existence - so powerful, especially when she became a mom.  This brings the dark, disturbing horrors of human trafficking into the light in a beautifully-written way.  Plus there's never been a more apt title!  This is a must-read book - I can't wait to read more from this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment