Sunday, March 26, 2017

3.26.2017 - Burntown

Burntown by Jennifer McMahon

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read and review this book - I loved it!

While this might not be for everyone, I really loved the mix of mystery, suspense, supernatural, survival - did I miss any? I'm a huge fan of this author's work but I found myself really drawn to figuring out what happened in this book - and there is lots to figure out!

There are layers of mysteries in this book that carry down through one family living in Ashford, Vermont. Miles, the dad, has plans for a machine that was supposedly Thomas Edison's invention that would allow people to speak to the dead. He builds the machine mainly to find out the mystery of his own parents' deaths. Then, on the night of a big flood that threatens their house, the machines speaks and warns of danger. The dad and brother are gone in the flood and we are introduced more to Necco, Miles' daughter, and his wife, Lily, who are living with a group of fire eaters on the fringe of town and hiding from someone that Lily is convinced is after them.

There are so many layers in this story - I loved just diving in until the end of the book when all was settled. The characters are so diverse and eccentric yet have good hearts - well, most of them!

Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment