Wednesday, October 26, 2016

10.25.2016 - I See You

I See You by Clare Mackintosh

Thanks so much to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this opportunity!

First - I was SO obsessed with Clare Mackintosh's first book - I Let You Go. I told everyone about it and insisted that they read it. It's still the only book I remember that literally made me gasp out loud and turn back the pages to see what I could have missed. Truly an amazing debut novel!

I was SO excited to read her second book but you always wonder if it will lead up to the hype of the first. No worries! Another amazing book - this author's writing truly pulls you into the story and doesn't let go until you turn the last page. And even then you are thinking about it and the characters. A true sign of a gifted author. I love all the police procedurals that ring true in these type of novels - and they certainly do here, no doubt due to the fact that the author worked on the police force for 12 years!

To get to the synopsis without giving much away, the story switches narrators between chapters, with a creepy interjection from the perpetrator stuck in between at various points. Zoe is a single mom in a live-in relationship with her boyfriend and whose 2 young adult children live with them. She lives a life that is lived by so many - commutes on the subway (London Underground), uncomfortable bosses, tension between boyfriend and son, an ex-husband still in love with her. In contrast, Kelly is on the police force but was basically demoted after an incident with a suspect. She's still trying to get over trauma that happened to her twin and seems to color her days with anger. She ends up investigating the case of personal ads that seem to lead to violence inflicted on the women in the ads.

Not giving any more away because you must.read.this.book! Kudos to the author for a wonderful second book - hope you're working on your next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment