Sunday, April 28, 2024

4.28.2024 - Every Time I Go on Vacation Someone Dies

Every Time I Go on Vacation, Someone Dies by Catherine  Mack

Many thanks to NetGalley, St Martin's Press, Minotaur Books and Macmillan Audio for gifting me both a digital and audio ARC of this fun book by Catherine Mack (AKA Catherine McKenzie) and narrated by Elizabeth Evans.  All opinions expressed in this review are my own - 4.5 stars!

Best-selling author Eleanor Dash is just trying to survive her book tour in Italy in the hottest month.   Her other main goal is to kill off the main character of her books, Connor Smith.  They have a real-life history as well, very much complicating her life, and he's along for the ride on the book tour..  But then Connor is convinced that someone is trying to kill him and enlists Eleanor's help.  Is life imitating art?

This was so much fun and it's apparently going to be a series, so count me in.  I enjoyed the way it was written - Eleanor "talks" to the reader, filling us in on her thoughts and ideas, giving us hints and clues, and even spoilers.   She's funny, with that dark snarky humor that's my favorite.  There were references to other books as well as the way readers rate books, some of which will make you laugh out loud or even possibly recognize yourself.  Plus, there are footnotes - a lot of footnotes!  I had both the audio and digital versions and in the audio, the footnotes are read as they occur; in the book, they are at the end of each chapter.  I preferred the audio version so ended up listening to it exclusively.  The narrator did great female voices, but the males didn't quite sound like male.  But no matter, this is just a fun story with a mystery I didn't solve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment