Wednesday, September 15, 2021

9.15.2021 - I Am Not Who You Think I Am

I Am Not Who You Think I Am by Eric Rickstad 

Many thanks to NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing Audiobooks for gifting me both a digital and audiobook of this thriller by Eric Rickstad and wonderfully narrated by Steven Weber.  4.5 stars!

When he was only 8, Wayland saw his father die by suicide.  He found the suicide note that read, I am not who you think I am, that he hid from his mother.  Now 16, he has discovered a few things that are making him question exactly what he saw.  With his two friends, he sets out to find records and uncover the truth.  But he also finds he can't trust anyone.

I really enjoyed this book.  The narrator did a great job of voicing Wayland as well as the other characters - he has a wonderful voice!  Set in 1984, Wayland has to rely on actual records and legwork to find answers instead of typing his questions into a search engine.  The mystery into his family's past will take him into places he never imagined.  This is also a coming-of-age story within the mystery, as we see Wayland navigate his friendships and the opposite sex.  The writing is wonderful - so descriptive - and kept me guessing until the surprising end.  I especially loved the way the book opened, explaining that what was followed was a transcript of information received by the town.  Brilliant!


No comments:

Post a Comment