Sunday, March 14, 2021

3.14.2021 - Remember

 

Remember by Lisa Genova

Many thanks to NetGalley and especially to Harmony Publishing for granting my wish to receive a digital ARC of the new non-fiction book by one of my favorite authors, Lisa Genova.  5 stars for a book I won't soon forget (sorry!).

As we get older, memory becomes something we think about a lot.  I can't find my phone - am I getting dementia?  Where did I park my car?  Why can I remember all the words to that song I loved in the 70s but can't remember why I came into this room?  If you have a relative who suffered from dementia, the fear is even worse.  Take a deep breath and read this book!  Lisa Genova, a neuroscientist and author of Still Alice, a novel on early-onset Alzheimer's, walks us through how we remember and how we forget and why both are important.  Plus, she gives practical tips on helping our brains - sleep, eat right, exercise, use Google and lists.  This is a fascinating book with loads of studies to emphasize points.  It's never dry reading material but actually a book you want to just sit down and read through. 

If you are new to Lisa Genova, her novels are completely wonderful - she is a gifted storyteller who also teaches you about disease and its impacts.  All of her books are highly recommended - don't miss this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment