Monday, February 22, 2021

2.22.2021 - Good Apple

Good Apple by Elizabeth Passarella

I recently read an article in Real Simple written by Elizabeth Passarella and loved it.  I immediately sought out the book and was thrilled to receive a digital copy thanks to NetGalley and Nelson Books.  5 stars for a book that I know I will return to again and again.

This is a series of essays about Elizabeth's life as a wife and mother of 3 living in NYC after being raised in the south.  She has a strong evangelical Christian faith, was raised in a mixed religious family (her father was Jewish) and is a Democrat.  Needless to say, there is a lot of material here!  Elizabeth has such a completely honest description of her life including admitting to yelling at her kids and her husband - you know, those things we all do but don't always tell everyone about.  This book was like having a glass of wine with a friend and spilling all your secrets with the added bonus of a spiritual twist.  Not smack in your face, my way is the only way, religious words but comforting, thought provoking ones.  As a cradle Catholic, I valued her thoughts.  And humor - so many laugh out loud moments!  It's also a love letter to NYC - while I live in NY, I'm 3 hours away, squarely in the upstate, mountainous part of the state and happy about it!  But it was still an interesting perspective.

This book offers so much and I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment