Friday, June 1, 2018

6.1.2018 - How Hard Can It Be?

How Hard Can It Be?

So many thanks to NetGalley, St Martin's Press, and Allison Pearson for the opportunity to read and review her sequel to the wonderful book, I Don't Know How She Does It. 

I loved the first book in this series about Kate trying to navigate her life with a high-powered job, a marriage and two small children.  Of course, since I'm now even older than Kate in the sequel, while I remember how much I loved that book, that's about all I remember!  (Where is Roy when you need him?)  As the years have passed, Kate is now pushing 50, her husband lost his job and is reinventing himself with trying to become a counselor, the kids are older, and she's worrying about their parents, trying to find a job, and entering menopause.

Because this is Allison Pearson, everything is so relatable, so funny, yet has serious undertones.  I found myself highlighting passage after passage.  It's all here - ageism, sexism (lots of #METOO moments here!), social media, guilt, raising children today, and still trying to have time for you.  In short, for a woman, while time passes we are still dealing with very full plates.  Thankfully Pearson is here once again to make us laugh and cry.

Highly recommended - I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment