Sunday, February 11, 2018

2.11.2018 - The Queen of Hearts

The Queen of Hearts

Thanks so much to NetGalley, Berkley, and Dr Kimmery Martin for the opportunity to read this great debut novel - loved it!  Sticking with my rationale that if I can't put a book down and read it incessantly, sighing softly when it's over that it's 5 stars, definitely a 5 star book.

Zadie and Emma have been best friends since they first met.  Their friendship persisted through medical school and beyond, with Zadie a well-respected cardiologist in Charlotte and Emma a trauma surgeon.  The book switches from the perspectives of Zadie and Emma in the present as well as from their medical school years.  At that point, Zadie was in a mostly secret relationship with her chief resident, Nick.  Plus there was an incident that happened in their third year that neither Zadie or Emma ever really talked about between them.  With this background, Nick shows up in Charlotte as the new member of Emma's practice.

I just loved these characters - Zadie's home life continually had me laughing out loud.  There's the perfect mix of life in the medical world, domestic life, and friendship that just had me glued to these pages.  Plus I felt a total kinship with Kimmery Martin when I read her Author's Note and she talks about how much she loves to read.  I can only hope that she's busy at work on her next novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment