Saturday, July 1, 2017

7.1.2017 - A Beautiful, Terrible Thing

A Beautiful, Terrible Thing by Jen Waite

Thanks to NetGalley, Plume Books and Jen Waite for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I have to admit I'm a little conflicted about this book. It is the true story of Jen and her marriage to Marco, who she discovers later is a sociopath. It is written like a psychological thriller - with Before and After chapters so that we see how the relationship developed and how Jen picks up the pieces afterwards.

Probably the reason for my conflict is because I have lived a similar situation as I'm sure many women have. Jen had wealthy parents who were able to swoop in and take care of her and her child while she basically fell apart. I'm glad that my situation happened way before social media because Jen's incessant need to check the Facebook and Instagram feeds of Marco surely didn't help her recovery. I could relate to many of Jen's feelings - probably the biggest thing we need when something like this happens is for the person to explain to us why - and an apology wouldn't hurt. Someone very wise told me when I was going through my situation that you will never get that apology because they don't think they've done anything wrong. You have to get past that and move on.

A good read - and a better lesson to be as sure as possible that we are healthy going into a relationship and not looking for someone to make us whole. Because that never works.

No comments:

Post a Comment