Friday, January 27, 2017

1.27.2017 - The Veins of the Ocean

The Veins of the Ocean by Patricia Engel

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book.

This story had lots of promise and I wanted to like it more than I did. Actually, the first part of the book held my interest, but that waned in the second part.

Reina comes from a complicated, dysfunctional family. Her brother was her everything - until he committed a heinous crime and was on death row. Reina was his only visitor and she made quite the effort to never miss. However, part of that was her guilt for her part in his crime. This is the part of the story that felt so real and drew me into the characters.

It slowed down after Reina moves to the Keys and takes up shelter in a little cottage. She meets Nesto, an immigrant from Cuba, who has a family there that he is trying to get to come to the states.

I found myself using the translator on my Kindle quite often in this book - many Spanish phrases not translated.

No comments:

Post a Comment